11.21.2010

we are the Ewoks

Now, I know that it's been a long time, for sure. Fathomless, endless oodles of time since I last updated this blog. I guess I wanted to be sure that I've still got it in me, and that I am not too rusty when it comes to writing (which could easily be the case, after an entire school year of not really writing a whole lot). Even aside from this, I somehow feel this weird sense of urgency to relate all of my experiences since the previous true blog update...which, by the way, I consider to be the last update in January.

However, I also know that in the interest of keeping you all interested instead of losing you to the vast number of multifariously boring stories that would commence if I set out to recount the past year. So ultimately, I will keep this post tethered to the aforementioned subject: Ewoks. If you have ever watched the movie "Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi", you will remember (hopefully with fondness) the cute, furry, walking teddy bears that they are. And you might also recall the stirring image of a slew of Ewoks holding tightly to a rope that had been looped around the 'foot' of an AT-ST walker, and being dragged along the ground with each mighty step.

Warning. In the next few sentences, I will compare Star Wars to a believer's relationship with God, so please bear (yes, pun intended) with me for just a moment. When a follower of Christ attempts to accomplish something for the glory of God, it can seem about as helpful as a lone Ewok tugging futilely on the AT-ST walker. Even if a group of Christians stands together and tries to do anything of note, in the grand scheme of things, it is only a drop in the bucket. In the Star Wars analogy, a whole line of Ewoks would still not be enough to change the fate of Yavin 4.

Fortunately for us, this is where the power of the LORD comes in. The difference that we can make in the world by ourselves is slight, but if we allow Him to multiply our efforts, then the effect is like the son of God turning a small boy's lunch into a feast for thousands of people. (If you're not familiar with this story, you'll find it in John 6:5-13.) So I guess what I'm trying to say is have faith. Believe that when you feel like all of the energy that you pour into having a fruitful life is wasted and useless, your God is powerful enough to increase your sacrifices exponentially, until the lives that surround you have been impacted in a mighty way.

Despite my best efforts, I feel like I haven't yet made a strong point in this blog entry. For your sake, I'll sum up what I think is important to consider. As a person living on a globe filled with billions of people, you realistically don't comprise much of the human race. Rather, you are only capable of doing the little things in life that God has called you to do, but in doing them, you allow God to add your contribution to a multitude of others and use it to complete His perfect, wonderful plans.

*                                  *                                  *                                  *                                  *

Author's note: Curiously, I started writing this post back in April, but didn't get past the description of the futile Ewoks. But I thought about the 5 loaves and 2 fish miracle today, and wanted to write about it, and decided it tied in nicely with AT-ST walker analogy.

No comments: